Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hortensia

I just got back from a weekend in Montreal where I had planned on stocking up on amazing winter clothes before heading back to tiny Ithaca. While I did get a few pieces, including a short knit cape by local designer Barila, I was hoping to find some chunky cable knitwear. Unfortunately, I didn't come across anything spectacular but luckily for the Internet I stumbled across Peruvian label, Hortensia.

Hortensia is the creation of three generations of French women raised in Peru. Named after Aunt Hortensia, the "knitting guru" of the family, Hortensia uses traditional Peruvian knitting techniques to make traditional, yet stylish, handmade sweaters and accessories.













Each piece is made from alpaca wool and available in a variety of styles and colours. My favourites are the plaid poncho and the cable knit cape - and I definitely will be getting my hands on one of the charcoal collars.

Hortensia really makes you wish you had of appreciated the sweaters Nana knitted for you. These days its hard to come across good quality knitwear outside of the opp shop. Thankfully, the ladies sell their collection through their website or selected pieces are available from Oak.

No comments:

Post a Comment