Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Splatter me happy

Photobucket

Photobucket


I know, I know. There's nothing new here. We have all seen
that Dion Lee collection - perfectly captured by the magnificent Tommy Ton - and the Josh Goot is now ancient in the ever-changing 'fashion world.' But I still cant get over how beautiful these collections are. I love when a designer creates something that is so perfect the word 'trend' becomes irrelevant. It's something timeless, it will never be 'in' or 'out' of fashion.

I guess that's one of my major concerns with fashion, that the industry is so driven by 'trends' and 'seasons' that we forget about the actual artistic aspect of fashion design. And this in turn creates a stigma on fashion.

I often feel embarrassed when I say to other journalists in my course that I write on fashion. I know I'm being judged. It's already decided that I'm one of 'those' girls who only wants to be in fashion because it would be,
like, totally, a cool job, riiiiight? And the truth, sadly, is that the majority are in it for those reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a trend as much as the next person, but I would feel uneasy writing about them as a 'journalist.' I think blogs are the perfect avenue for people to discuss trends because it's a personal take on what you like as a trend. But for me, I read, and write, fashion articles to understand more about someone who is passionate about what they do as a designer, this is what I personally find interesting and inspiring.

Yes, I do realise I sound rather like a wanker right now, perhaps delusional, but what do you think? Do you read magazines to learn about trends? Or do like to trawl through blogs and find trends for yourself? Do you see the 'art' in fashion? Or do you enjoy fashion for the seasonal looks?

No comments:

Post a Comment